Grunay with Bound Skerry behind
The island has a lighthouse on it, which was built in 1857 at the cost of £21,000. George Stevenson, the great lighthouse engineer, was responsible for building the lighthouse builders, and the signature of Robert Louis Stevenson, the writer of the family, can be seen in its guestbook. The keepers lived on nearby Grunay.
The island was bombed by the Germans twice during the Second World War, as thought it was a munitions factory.
- Haswell-Smith, Hamish (2004). The Scottish Islands. Edinburgh: Canongate. ISBN 1841954543.
|The Out Skerries|