Gaelic: An Dubh-Nis
A view of houses in the village of Blackness
|Linlithgow and East Falkirk|
Blackness is a small village and harbour at Blackness Bay, an inlet of the Firth of Forth in West Lothian. It lies 3½ miles east-south-east of Bo'ness, five miles west-north-west of South Queensferry and four miles north-east of the county town, Linlithgow.
At the 2001 Census, Blackness was reported as having a population of around 135 residents.
The village originally served as a port for nearby Linlithgow, which was a principal residence of the Scottish monarchs from as early as the 12th century. As a port, Blackness was later superseded by Bo'ness, and fell into decline from the 17th century. Blackness Yacht Club currently use the village as a base for its sailing activities.
The small village is dominated by Blackness Castle, situated on a promontory overlooking the bay. The castle was both a residence and a prison before passing to Crown ownership in 1453. The castle is currently under the care of Historic Scotland and has been used as a setting for several films including Hamlet, and the BBC production of Ivanhoe. In addition to the castle and the boat club, the village contains a small variety shop and a pub restaurant. The old smithy has long since shut its doors, as has the dairy which once operated from the village.
- No 3 - 2001 Census Population of settlements and wards, www.falkirk.gov.uk. Retrieved 2011-05-17
- Scotland: the Movie Location Guide - Hamlet - Blackness Castle, www.scotlandthemovie.com.
- Visit Scotland - Blackness Castle, guide.visitscotland.com.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|