Holy Cross Church, Binstead
|Island:||Isle of Wight|
|Council:||Isle of Wight|
|Isle of Wight|
Binstead is a village on the Isle of Wight, Hampshire. It is located in the northeast of the island, a mile west of Ryde on the main road (A3054) between Ryde and Newport. By the time of the 2011 Census, Binstead had been incorporated within Ryde for enumeration purposes.
Binstead has two churches (Holy Cross and Binstead Methodist Church) and a monastery (Quarr Abbey) is located nearby.
Binstead is recorded in 1086 in the Domesday Book as Benestede. It became known for the quality of its limestone which led to a local quarrying industry, the result of which is still visible in the village's landscape and place names. The nearby Quarr Abbey takes its name from 'quarry' and the suffix 'pitts' is occasionally found in house and road names. The quarries were known as pits.
The earliest recorded quarrying was by the first Norman Bishop of Winchester, Walkelin, who was granted half a hide of land by William the Conqueror. He used the stone to construct Winchester Cathedral starting in 1079. Subsequently, the stone was used in the building of Chichester Cathedral, Romsey Abbey and part of the Tower of London.
During the Napoleonic War Daniel List, a local shipwright, successfully carried out shipbuilding at Binstead for the Royal Navy, comprising three 36-gun frigates - HMS Magicienne in 1812, and HMS Tagus and HMS Tiber in 1813.
About the village
The village has a post office/general store as its sole remaining shop. Until the end of February 2009 when it was finally removed, it had a modern style BT phone box outside.
The village has a primary school, two recreational fields and has access to a public common and beach. Brickfields, a small horse centre, is located to its south. The local pub is "The Fleming Arms".
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|