Church and lychgate, Bickington
|Post town:||Newton Abbot|
White, in 1850, wrote:
"BICKINGTON, a scattered village on the banks of the Lemon rivulet, and on the Exeter road, 3 miles N.E. of Ashburton, has in its parish 1375 acres and 374 inhabitants. The manor was dismembered many years ago, and the soil belongs to various freeholders. Here is a serge manufactory, employing 150 hands. Wrigwell estate has been held by the Bickford family about 600 years. The Church (St. James,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburton. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £110, and the rectorial for £115. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are appropriators of the latter, and Mr. Richard Skinner is the lessee. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel; and the poor have £2 from Plymouth Corporation, as a gift of Benjamin Baron. . . ."
The Tews Lane Playing Fields, of seven and a half acres, have been enrolled as a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
The parish church is St Mary The Virgin, and dates from the 15th century, though it may stand on an earlier site. It has a most unusual lychgate leading into the churchyard: the gate is through a house, and has a room over it.
There was formerly a Methodist chapel in the village, now converted into a private house.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|