Dagenham Civic Centre
|Council:||Barking & Dagenham|
|Dagenham and Rainham|
Becontree Heath (also spelt Beacontree Heath) is an open space in the Becontree Hundred of Essex, within the metropolitan conurbation. The name has also been applied to the local area, in particular to the Dagenham RM8 postal district.
Becontree Heath functioned as the ancient meeting place for Becontree hundred. In 1465, the Royal Liberty of Havering was formed in the east and the therefore the hundred's meeting place became located on its fringe. When it was still a rural parish, Becontree Heath was a hamlet in Dagenham.
It is the location of the high density Becontree Heath Estate, built by Barking Council from 1966 to 1970.
It is the location of a London Buses bus station with services to Chigwell, Canning Town, Romford, Beckton, Dagenham, Rainham, Chadwell Heath and Gallows Corner. Crowlands Heath Golf Club and Becontree Heath Leisure Centre are located here.
- The hundred of Becontree: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966). Date accessed: 11 January 2008.
- Barking and Dagenham Council - Dagenham Civic Centre
- Cherry, Bridget (2005). London. New Haven, CT London: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300107012.
- Transport for London - Becontree Heath (PDF)
- Crowlands Heath Golf Club
- Becontree Heath Leisure Centre