St Nicholas' parish church
|Website:||Baydon village website|
Baydon is a village in Wiltshire, about 10 miles south-east of Swindon. The eastern boundary of the parish forms part of the county boundary with Berkshire and the village is about seven miles north-west of the Berkshire market town of Hungerford.
The parish church of St Nicholas has a Norman nave and two-bay north arcade. The south aisle and northern clerestory are Early English Gothic. The north aisle was rebuilt in 1857-58 by the Gothic Revival architect GE Street. The south clerestory is Perpendicular Gothic.
Baydon is close to the Ridgeway, believed to be a pre-Roman road. The village is on the course of Ermine Street, a Roman Road between Corinium Dobunnorum (Cirencester) and Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester).
Sir Isaac Newton bought an estate in Baydon which he settled on three of his grand-nephews and nieces days before his death in 1727. He later admitted that he had overpaid for it.
The M4 motorway which passes just north of the village was opened on 22 December 1971.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Pevsner & Cherry, 1975, page 105
- Brewster, 1855, page 397
Sources and further reading
- David Brewster (1855). Memoirs of the Life, Writings, and Discoveries of Sir Isaac Newton. 2. Edinburgh: Thomas Constable & Co.. p. 397. http://books.google.co.uk/books?ie=UTF-8&vid=LCCN04033757&id=d1cLlLfr7HcC&dq=isaac+newton+baydon&lpg=PA397&pg=PA397.
- Crowley, D.A. (ed.); Baggs, A.P.; Freeman, Jane; Stevenson, Janet H. (1983). A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 12: Ramsbury and Selkey hundreds; the Borough of Marlborough. Victoria County History. pp. 52–61.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget (revision) (1975) . Wiltshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 105. ISBN 0 14 0710.26 4.