Ballencrieff, East Lothian
Houses adjacent to the B1377 at Ballencrieff
Ballencrieff is village in East Lothian, found between the towns of Aberlady, Drem, Haddington and Longniddry. The name, very unusually for East Lothian, appears to come from the Gaelic language; Baile na Craoibhe means "Tree town".
The village comprises typical rural housing, and some industry, including commercial pork farming, and a specialized plant which selectively breeds chickens to lay high-quality eggs. Nearby Ballencrieff Castle was built in 1507. The nearby "Ballencrief roundabout", on the busy commuter route between North Berwick and Edinburgh, has a reputation as an accident blackspot.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Ballencrieff, East Lothian)