Ashford, North Devon
St Peter's Church, Ashford
Despite its name, there is no ford at Ashford: the origin of the name is in a distortion of an original 'Ashworth', from the Old English Æsc weorþ meaning "ash-tree enclosure". The name is recorded as Aiscawurde in 1182.
The parish church of St Peter is a grade II* listed building. The tower was rebuilt in 1798 and the remainder in 1854.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Ashford, North Devon)
- National Heritage List 1107140: Church of St Peter, Ashford