The Sun Inn
The name of the village is believed to be from the Old English 'Earn-lace denu', meaning "Eagle-stream valley".
It has an historic Grade II listed church, first built in 1829, which contains a stained glass window dedicated to Isaac Fletcher of Frizington. In 1904 the church was remodelled, with the addition of a bell tower and eight bells cast by John Taylor & Son of Loughborough.
St Michael's stands on the site of an ancient church, our earliest records are during the reign of King Henry III (1216 Ã¢â‚¬âœ72). In 1241 it was given to Calder Abbey by the then Lord of the Manor, Sir John Le Fleming
The site has a long history of ecclesiastical buildings with records from the reign of Henry III. This building is of 1829 but was drastically reconstructed in 1903- 1905. The massive tower dates from this last phase and is a dominant feature.
In 2014 it was announced that the church is to close, and the bells hopefully re-used in another church.
The village also has a 19th-century primary school and an old Sunday school.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Armstrong, A. M.; Mawer, A; Stenton, F. M.: & Dickens, B.: 'The place-names of Cumberland' Part 2 (English Place-Name Society, vol.xxi: Cambridge University Press 1950) page 335