The Kennet and Avon Canal at Aldermaston Wharf.
Aldermaston Wharf is a small village a mile and a half north-northwest of Aldermaston in Berkshire. It stands beside the Kennet and Avon Canal, which is the reason for its foundation, and by other transport links too: the Great Western Railway passes through it and Aldermaston railway station and Aldermaston Lock are here at Aldermaston Wharf. The A4 road runs just to the north of the village.
The Kennet & Avon Visitor Centre owned by British Waterways has a tea room and small shop.
The River Kennet was made navigable between Reading and Newbury and opened as the Kennet Navigation in 1723. A wharf was constructed here (to the immediate east of the current lift bridge) and a trading community developed around it. In addition carpenters were required to service the locks and bridges. On completion of the Kennet and Avon Canal in 1810 local trade flourished even more with exports of timber products, malt and flour and imports of coal, groceries and manufactured goods. When the Great Western Railway bought the canal in the 1850s a canal spur was constructed to the railway sidings to allow transfer of goods between canal and rail. Some of this has now been infilled. The River Enborne joins the River Kennet just to the west of the village. Strange's Brewery was sited just south of the lock. In the late 18th century the brewery was owned by Francis Strange. The brewery was sold in 1952 and demolished.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Aldermaston Wharf)
- Aldermaston Lock information board