Sumburgh Head is at the southern tip of the Shetland Mainland. The headland is a high rocky spur over 300 feet high, capped by the Sumburgh Head Lighthouse.
The Old Norse name for the headland was Dunrøstar høfdi, it means "The Head onto the Thunderous Noise", referring to the noise of Sumburgh Roost. The cliffs are home to large numbers of seabirds and the area is an RSPB nature reserve.
Close to the head is the archaeological site of Jarlshof, at which a series of settlements existed dating back to the neolithic period.
As well as birds, Sumburgh Head has become a popular viewing point for whales and dolphins.
Robert Stevenson was the engineer in charge of building the Sumburgh Head lighthouse. Work started on the building in 1819, and the light was first lit in 1821.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Sumburgh Head)