Old Oak Common

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Old Oak Common
Old Oak Common Railway Maintenance Depot - geograph.org.uk - 550702.jpg
Old Oak Common Railway Maintenance Depot
Grid reference: TQ216823
Location: 51°31’28"N, 0°14’32"W
Population: 9,175
Post town: London
Postcode: NW10
Dialling code: 020
Local Government
Council: Hammersmith and Fulham

Old Oak Common is an area of urban Middlesex between Harlesden and East Acton known for its railway depots, particularly 'Old Oak Common TMD'. Further south lies an open area, Wormwood Scrubs Park, and Wormwood Scrubs prison. Willesden Junction station lies to the north of the area.

In the mid nineteenth century the common was a centre for pig farming.


Originally Old Oak Common was a stretch of land defined by what became the Harrow Road at its northern end, and its eastern edge was the northern source of Stamford Brook, forming a boundary with Wormwood Scrubs. By 1801 the Paddington Canal had cut it in half, further reducing its size. With the coming of the railways, most of the common was lost and what remained became part of Wormwood Scrubs.

The Great Western Railway main lines from London Paddington: the Great Western Main Line of 1838-1841 to Bristol Temple Meads railway station and the 1903 New North Main Line via Greenford to Northolt Junction, which is the start of the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway line, split at Old Oak junction.

Railway use

As of 2014 the Great Western Main Line has a regular passenger service; the New North Main Line (now partially singled) is used by freight trains and empty coaching stock movements with just one weekday passenger train each way between Gerrards Cross and London Paddington via West Ruislip.

A new station is proposed to be built at Old Oak Common, to be known as 'Crossrail interchange', proposed for interchange with the High Speed 2 line to Birmingham.

In summer 2011, the local council launched a wide-ranging 'Park Royal City' plan for Old Oak Common, including the proposed station, and with light-rail lines to the surrounding areas.[1]


In December 2013, The Independent reported that Antony Spencer, Founder of Stadium Capital Development, is to head up a £5 Billion regeneration scheme in the area, with partner Queens Park Rangers. The proposal includes new homes, office, retail outlets, and a proposed football stadium for QPR.[2]

The Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation was established in 2015 to lead regeneration and planning work.