From Wikishire
Revision as of 12:58, 20 October 2016 by RB (Talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{Infobox town |name=Blackfordby |county=Leicestershire |picture=Blackfordby hedge.jpg |picture caption=Blackfordby |os grid ref=SK327176 |latitude=52.758 |longitude=-1.513 |p...")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Blackfordby hedge.jpg
Grid reference: SK327176
Location: 52°45’29"N, 1°30’47"W
Post town: Swadlingcote
Postcode: DE11
Local Government

Blackfordby is a small village in the northwesternmost corner of Leicestershire, close to the Derbyshire border, about two miles north-west of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and two miles southeast of Swadlincote.

On some early maps, such as one dated 1587, the village is shown as "Blaugherby".

About the village

The village is dominated by the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, erected in 1858 on the site of an earlier Anglican Chapel which was attached to the Church of St. Helen at nearby Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The church stands in an elevated position next to the village school, and is built in the early English style.[1] The church has a nave and chancel, with a tower surmounted by a broach spire and, for the greater part of the work, constructed from local sandstone which has become blackened due to the effects of air pollution.

Until recent years there were several 16th & 17th century thatched cottages in and around the village, but now only two remain, one on Main Street, and one behind the "Rec". Both are now protected buildings.

For many years the population remained at about 500, mainly agricultural workers, until the advent of the "Pits & Pipeworks". It is still a fairly quiet, rural village, although the population has greatly expanded in recent years. Council houses were built in 1948 and 1950, but the biggest changes have been brought about by private development. The village school still survives and has been extended to allow children to continue their education there until they are eleven years old. There are two pubs, The Black Lion and The Blue Bell, but no shops or Post Office.


Charles Abney Hastings of Willesley Hall died on 30 July 1858, aged 66. By a deed of settlement, executed about 1846, the Blackfordby and Packington estates of Sir Charles passed to the Marquis of Hastings, Henry Rawdon-Hastings.[2]

Leisure and recreation

Blackfordby Recreation Ground on Well Lane is a Queen Elizabeth II Field.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Blackfordby)