Alness High Street
| Caithness, Sutherland|
and Easter Ross
The two parishes of Alness and Rosskeen were once in different presbyteries of the Church of Scotland. Now in one, they maintain discrete churches.
Alness has several churches:
- Church of Scotland:
- Alness Parish Church
- Roskeen Parish Church
- Free Church: Rosskeen Free Church of Scotland
- Baptist: Alness Baptist Church
- Independent Evangelical: Calvary Church
In September 1715 during the '15 Rebellion, the Skirmish of Alness was fought between Jacobite clans including the MacKenzies and MacDonalds under the Earl of Seaforth, and the loyalist Munros, Rosses and MacKays under John Gordon, 16th Earl of Sutherland. The Jacobites drove their opponents over Struie to Bonar.
For the middle part of the twentieth century there was a seaplane base, RAF Alness.
- Alness.com - Community website commissioned by the Alness Community Association
- Alness - PastPresent history site
- Alness on Undiscovered Scotland