High Street, Yelling
Yelling is a quiet village in Huntingdonshire, set in a woodland valley close to the county's south-eastern boundary. It is a linear village with attractive thatched and half-timbered cottages and an air of peace.
The village's name was in Anglo-Saxon days, named Gelling, pronounced the same as today, a name taken from the manorial family of Gill or Gell.
In its 12th Century church are four bells dated from 1666 and two stained glass windows in memory of a former rector and his wife. The noted evangelist Henry Venn was Yelling's vicar from 1771 until his death there in 1797, and a plaque commemorating him is set over the pulpit.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|