High Street, Wool
Woolbridge Manor House, a 14th-century building, is a prominent feature just outside the village and the location of Tess's honeymoon in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Other prominent features of the village include the mediæval church of Holy Rood, the railway station on the South Western Main Line to London Waterloo from Weymouth, and the thatched cottages along Spring Street.
The place-name 'Wool' is first attested in Anglo-Saxon Writs from 1002 to 1012, where it appears as Wyllon. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it appears as Wille and Welle, and as Welles in 1212 in the Book of Fees. The name means 'springs' in the sense of wells.
Near Wool, to the east of the village, are the ruins of Bindon Abbey, which was demolished in the Dissolution of the Monasteries of 1539, the stone being used to build castles in Portland, Lulworth and Sandsfoot.
According to local knowledge, only one building was destroyed during the war – on 3 May 1941. The building was a small bungalow by the name of "Two Birches", located on Bailey's Drove. The house was later rebuilt.
About the village
A small single-lane hump-backed stone bridge, a Grade II* listed structure about 20 yards north of the railway station, is no longer used for vehicular traffic. The place name Wullebrigg, recorded in 1244, indicates a crossing here in the thirteenth century and there is an extant record from 1343 of a bridge crossing the River Frome at this point. It has a stone half-way along it stating that those who deface or damage the bridge will be liable to transportation for life. In January 2018 one of the bridge's stone parapets collapsed, undermined by floodwater, but the arches remained undamaged.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Wool, Dorset)
- Pitt-Rivers, Michael, 1968. Dorset. London: Faber & Faber ISBN 0-571-06714-X