|Council:||Forest of Dean|
|Forest of Dean|
The village has two pubs – The Miners Arms and The Royal Oak. Both provide food, drink and accommodation. Whitecroft railway station, part of the Dean Forest Railway, is near the Miners' Arms and the village shop (formerly the Post Office).
Cottages are recorded at Whitecroft in the 1780s. A chapel at Whitecroft dates from 1824. By 1834 terraces containing 30 cottages had been built on either side of the Severn & Wye tramroad (later railway) for employees in the Parkend collieries – they were demolished in the 20th century. In 1841 there were three beerhouses at Whitecroft – one of which has become the Miners' Arms inn. Whitecroft has a memorial hall dating from 1924. The village had a successful rugby club before the World War I and a male voice choir in the mid 20th century. The village continued to expand throughout the 20th century when estates of private and council houses were built.
In the early 17th century there were ironworks on Cannop brook at Whitecroft. They remained in operation until the Crown sold them in 1674 for demolition, to preserve the woodland of the Forest. Whitecroft had two corn mills in the early 19th century. One of the mills, in the west part of Whitecroft remained in operation until 1970. In the 19th century there were several coal mines in the area, including Park Gutter west of Whitecroft, and Princess Royal colliery between Whitecroft and Bream's Eaves. There was a factory on the south side of Whitecroft in 1866, and other workshops and industrial sites developed in the 20th century. On the Bream road several brick buildings put up in the early 20th century for Princess Royal colliery still survive.
- A History of the County of Gloucester - Volume pp300-325: Forest of Dean: Settlement (Victoria County History)
- A History of the County of Gloucester - Volume 5 pp381-389: Forest of Dean: Social life (Victoria County History)
- A History of the County of Gloucester - Volume 5 pp326-354: Forest of Dean: Industry (Victoria County History)
- "Restored Whitecroft Railway Station officially opened". BBC News Gloucestershire. BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-18203477. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|