|By:||Robert and James Adam|
Wedderburn Castle was designed and constructed 1771–5 by the famous architect brothers Robert Adam and James Adam, with the work superintendent being James Nisbet, for Patrick Home of Billie, who had already completed Paxton House (using James Adam and Nisbet, with Robert Adam doing the interiors around 1773). Battlemented three-storey elevations in the typical Adam Castle style, the apparent symmetry conceals a rectangular courtyard, originally filled by the 17th century (or earlier) tower house, also known as Wedderburn Castle, of which only a heraldic panel remains. It was demolished in the early 19th century leaving the courtyard, accessed through an archway at the back.
The castle is approached by way of the north or Lion Gate of 1794 and the long drive (leading from the West gate) which pass the 18th century stables (a square court entered through a pedimented archway) and the staff cottages before continuing to the castle. The West Gate is another archway but defined by screen walls and gabled lodges.
The castle interior
Entering the front of the castle through a large porch above which is the Home of Wedderburn coat of arms, there is a double staircase with an iron balastrade leading up to a balcony behind which is a long gallery connecting the drawing room and the dining room. Across the hall and above the front door is a long minstrel gallery again connecting the drawing room and the dining room. On the right of the staircase are the drawing room, and the morning room (previously the smoking room), beyond which is the ballroom. There are several fine chimneypieces, the best being by Piranesi. To the left are the dining room, and a further staircase leading up to the bedrooms. The ground floor has a large kitchen and further bedrooms, originally for servants.
The Earls of Douglas had the feudal superiority of the lands of Wedderburn circa 1413, when Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas granted them as a feu to "his esquire, David de Home". In a charter dated at Dunbar Castle 29 February 1413, George de Dunbar, Earl of March, confirmed the previous charter granted by "his beloved brother, Archibald, Earl of Douglas", the superiority having passed, by forfeiture, from the Dunbar family to Douglas.
By 1550 the Homes had acquired the superiority of Wedderburn as is indicated by a Sasine in favour of David Home, brother-German and heir of George Home of Wedderburn, who was killed at the Battle of Pinkie, where it is stated that the heir and his brother held it of the Crown in chief.
Daughters of this branch of the Home family would keep Home and add it to their married name—hence subsequent generations of the family having variations including Foreman Home, Milne Home, Home Robertson, and Home Miller. The current owner is David Home Miller, son of the previous owner, Georgina Home Robertson.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Wedderburn Castle)
- "Listed Building Report". Historic Scotland Data Services. Edinburgh. 9 June 1971. http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=42543. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- David Milne Home (politician); Historical Manuscripts Commission (1902). Report on the Manuscripts of Colonel David Milne Home of Wedderburn Castle, N.B.. London: Printed for His Majesty's Stationery Office, by Mackie & Co. LD..
- Strang, Charles Alexander (3 October 1994). Borders and Berwick: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to the Scottish Borders and Tweed Valley. Rutland Press. pp. 43–4. ISBN 978-1873190104.