Irish: Áth na nUrlainn
The Mason's Apron, Urlingford
Urlingford is a town and parish in north-west County Kilkenny, adjacent to the border with the South Riding of County Tipperary. Its name is from the Irish Áth na nUrlainn, meaning 'Ford of the slaughter'.
The town lies on the R639 road, with the M8 motorway running just to the west. Both Urlingford and nearby Johnstown are accessed via M8 junction four. Urlingford is a bus hub, with major operator JJ Kavanagh and Sons based there. Situated 78 miles from Dublin and 80 miles from Cork, Urlingford has long been a resting-point for travellers half way between the Republic of Ireland's two largest cities.
The Irish name Áth na nUrlainn means "ford of the slaughter" and has been anglicised as Aghnenurlin, Aghnenoorlin, Awnanoorlin and similar.
In 1526, Piers Butler, 8th Earl of Ormond, gave possession of the lands of Urlingford to John Tobin and Nicolas Mothing (chaplins). The earlier settlement was focused around the castle, church and graveyard.
The town had an organised planned growth with traditional plot patterns. It was built over a cut-over bog, an extension to the Templetuohy Bog, much of which has been reclaimed. Urlingford is a linear town around the focused primary axis, the Main Street. In 1837 it was the centre of a manufacture of coarse stuffs, flannels, and worsteds, and carries on an extensive retail trade with the surrounding districts.
The town was recorded on Griffith's Valuation in 1864.
Emeralds GAA is a junior Gaelic Athletic Association club, founded in 1972.
- (Fiontar 2008, Áth na nUrlainn/Urlingford)
- JJ Kavanagh Bus Company
- "Map of Urlingford Parish in the barony of Galmoy". The Down Survey Project. http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php#bm=Galmoy&c=Kilkenny&indexOfObjectValue=-1&indexOfObjectValueSubstring=-1&p=Urlingford.
- (Carrigan 1905, Existing Civil Divisions or Baronies)
- (Tighe 1802, Bog, Mountain)
- Lewis 1837, URLINGFORD Parish
- (Griffith 1864, Urlingford Search)
- Kilkenny County Council. "Kilkenny County Library Service". http://www.kilkenny.ie/kids_life_directory/community/library_service.
- Buildings of Ireland. "Urlingford Public Library (Urlingford Courthouse), Urlingford, County Kilkenny". http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KK®no=12304009.
- Fiontar (2008). "Placenames Database of Ireland". Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs of the Government of Ireland. http://www.logainm.ie/en/.
- Griffith (1864). "Griffith's Valuation". http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation.
- Carrigan, William (1905) (in en). The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory. Sealy, Bryers & Walker. ISBN 9785879206463. https://books.google.ie/books?id=cPMQAwAAQBAJ.
- Tighe, William (1802) (in en). Statistical observations relative to the county of Kilkenny: made in the years 1800 & 1801. Printed by Graisberry and Campbell. https://books.google.ie/books?id=iTBWAAAAYAAJ.
- CSO, Central Statistics Office. "CSO Website". Government of Ireland. http://www.cso.ie.
- "Histpop — The Online Historical Population Reports Project". University of Essex. http://www.histpop.org.
- KCC. "Urban Design Study for Urlingford". Kilkenny County Council. http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/eng/Services/Planning/LocalAreaPlans/Urlingford/UrlingfordUDFinalText.pdf.
- Lewis, Samuel (1837). A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/placeindex.php.