|Council:||Forest of Dean|
|Forest of Dean|
The Pludds is a hamlet in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. Lydbrook and Joys Green lie to the west; Ruardean is to the north; and Ruardean Woodside is to the east. The Pludds has a village hall.
The name of the hamlet derives from the Middle English word "pludde" or "plodde", meaning a pool or puddle. The area was known as The Pludds by 1787 when a few houses are reported. One of the oldest surviving houses, Pludds Court, dates from the late 18th or early 19th century. Occasional building continued at the Pludds after 1840 and a beerhouse called the Royal Oak had opened by 1891. In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a coal shaft known as "Pluds" just southwest of the hamlet, which formed part of the Lydbrook Colliery.
- YouTube video from "The Pludds Village Hall"
- A. H. Smith, (1965), The Place-names of Gloucestershire. Part IV, page 162. English Place-Name Society
- Forest of Dean: Settlement, Victoria County History
- Pluds, Forest of Dean Local History Society
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about The Pludds)