Teversham is a small village in Cambridgeshire, sitting roughly 2 miles from Fulbourn, and roughly 4 miles from the centre of Cambridge. It is a small village compared to neighbouring ones. Although just a few hundred yards from the edge of Cambridge's outer sprawl, it is bordered by farmland on all sides but one, and that the open ground of Cambridge Airport.
- Church of England: All Saints
- Independent Evangelical: Hope Community Church
All Saints is considered ancient, dating back to an estimated 910, and even by the time of the Domesday survey was one of the few listed in Cambridgeshire as a whole. Dedicated to All Saints since its reconsecration in 1393 consists of a chancel, an aisled nave, west tower, and south porch. The earliest parts of the present building date from the early 13th century, as does its octagonal font.
A small non-conformist chapel in the High Street is the centre of a vibrant community church, Hope Community Church, established there in 2009. The chapel was built for the use of Protestant Dissenters in 1858.
Teversham is a small parish that built up just to the south of the Cambridge to Newmarket road; it had only 27 villagers at the time of the Domesday Book in 1086. A quiet arable farming village during mediæval times, its recent history has been tied up with that of Cambridge with its growth helping to feed the neighbouring city.
Cambridge Airport was developed on land in the north west of the parish as Marshall's car and aircraft business grew in the 1930s.
Known in early mediæval times as Teueresham or Teuresham, the village's name perhaps means "Tefer's home" after an otherwise unknown founder.
After 1560, the rectory was held by a string of eminent clergymen. John Whitgift, later Archbishop of Canterbury, was rector of Teversham from 1560-72, as was Richard Bancroft, rector 1576-86, who succeeded him as Archbishop. Matthew Wren, Bishop of Ely and of Norwich was rector 1615-35, and Joseph Beaumont, master of Peterhouse, Cambridge, held the rectory from 1664-99. In many cases the rectors were resident in college in Cambridge and hired a curate to oversee the church.
Richard Corney Grain, Victorian era entertainer and songwriter, was born in Teversham in 1844.
Although not an inhabitant of the village, the Baptist minister the Reverend Charles Haddon Spurgeon preached his first public sermon in Teversham to a small gathering of local people in a cottage in the High Street.
Teversham has a well-reputed primary school, a parish church, a Victorian chapel, Conservative Club, a recreation ground and Indian restaurant. Children initially attend primary school in the village and usually then go on to Bottisham Village College.
The village's only pub, the Rose and Crown, situated in the main intersection on the High Street closed down and remained vacant until summer 2008 when it underwent full refurbishment as a restaurant. Teversham has been criticised for its lack of shops and other useful facilities, which only became worse as of 2002 when the Post Office closed down.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|