All Saints church, Terling
A settlement at Terling dates back to Roman times. According to a Saxon document dated AD 627, about seven hundred acres of land was occupied in the Terling and Fairstead area.
Terling is mentioned in the Domesday Book, giving the approximate population as one hundred and twenty five. Before the Norman Conquest the three manors of Terling were presented to the Abbot of Ely. During the thirteenth century successive Bishops of Norwich acquired land in the Parish and the remains of the foundations of their palace exist to the west of All Saints’ Church. Henry VII later used the palace as a hunting lodge.
During the fourteenth century more people were encouraged to take up farming and names of the farmers who purchased holdings at this time are remembered to this day in place names such as Loyes, Scarletts and Porridge Pot.
Arable farming and sheep rearing were the basis of the village economy in the sixteenth century. Other local industries included tanning, weaving, malting and the milling of flour. Houses of the period were made of timber and clay and were thatched.
John Strutt, the second Baron Rayleigh, built the village school, enlarged the church and, in 1868, after a terrible epidemic of typhoid fever, installed a village water supply system.
Since 2002 Terling has been the location of the Terling International Trifle Festival, held each year in September.
Terling was named as Essex Village of the Year in 2017.
The village is split into two halves by the River Ter. On the West side of the river there is a cricket pitch, tennis courts, swimming pool and playground. On the East side of the river is the village's single public house, the Rayleigh Arms (commonly known as the Monkey), as well as the village shop and post office, the Terling Primary School and the Anglican Church.
The community is strong as evidenced by the many clubs and societies in the village, which include The Terling School PTA, Brownies, Ladies Club, Bell Ringing, Church Choir, Cricket Club, Football Club, Indoor Bowls, Mothers Union, Tennis Club, Swimming Club, Gardening Club, Horticultural Society, and Clay Pigeon Shooting.
The manor house, Terling Place, was built between 1772 and 1777.
The Terling windmill, latterly converted to residential use, was featured in the film Oh, Mr Porter!.
The Anglican church dedicated to All Saints is located on the village green. The body of the church is medieval, restored in the 19th century, while the brick-built tower dates from 1732.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11129498&c=Terling&d=16&e=62&g=6422731&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1473241976469&enc=1. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- Hey, David (14 Jan 2014). Family History and Local History in England. Routledge. pp. 88. ISBN 1317870565.
- Barton, Charles Alfred (1953). Historical Notes and Records of the Parish of Terling, Essex. C.A. Barton.
- "Taste of trifle boosts funds". BBC News. 14 September 2003. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/3107596.stm. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Lodge, Will. "Terling named as Essex Village of the Year for 2017" (in en). East Anglian Daily Times. http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/terling-named-as-essex-village-of-the-year-for-2017-1-5093266. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- National Heritage List England no. 1123411: Terling (Historic England)
- History of Terling, White's Directory (1848)
- Wrightson, Keith & Levine, David (1995). Poverty and Piety in an English Village: Terling, 1525–1700. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-820321-7
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|