Sutton under Brailes
|Sutton under Brailes|
Thomas a Becket Church
Sutton under Brailes is a village and ancient parish forming a detached part of Gloucestershire, locally in Warwickshire. The village lies on the north bank of the River Stour, which separates it from Stourton in Warwickshire proper. It lies in the Cotswolds 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'.
The parish church is dedicated to St Thomas a Becket, and was originally built during the mediæval period. The parish was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It was granted by Edward the Confessor to Westminster Abbey in the mid-11th century, and thereafter became part of Gloucestershire's Westminster Hundred.