Strome Castle beside Loch Carron
|Owned by:||National Trust for Scotland|
Strome Castle is a ruined castle on the shore of Loch Carron, a sea loch on the rugged west coast of Ross-shire. The place about the castle is known as Stromemore, and it stands opposite Stromeferry, and 3½ miles south-west of the village of Lochcarron.
Strome was originally built by the Macdonald Earls of Ross. Later in 1472 the castle was owned by the Clan MacDonald of Lochalsh and Alan MacDonald Dubh, 12th Chief of the Clan Cameron was constable on behalf of the MacDonalds of Lochalsh.
In 1539 King James V of Scotland granted the castle to the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry and Hector Munro, chief of the Clan Munro was constable of the castle for the MacDonalds of Glengarry.
Later in 1602 the castle was besieged by Kenneth Mackenzie, 1st Lord Mackenzie of Kintail, chief of the Clan Mackenzie, assisted by their allies the Clan Matheson. After the MacDonalds surrendered it was demolished and blown up. The MacDonnells of Glengarry built a new castle; Invergarry Castle.
In 1939 the ruined Strome Castle was presented to the National Trust for Scotland. Today the castle comprises a courtyard and the remains of a square tower.
- Strome Castle - National Trust for Scotland