Stone, Kent

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Terraced houses on Acacia Road, Stone, Kent - geograph-2827890.jpg
Terraced houses on Acacia Road, Stone
Grid reference: TQ575745
Location: 51°26’53"N, 0°15’57"E
Population: 6,100  (2005 est.)
Post town: Dartford
Postcode: DA2, DA9
Dialling code: 01322
Local Government
Council: Dartford

Stone, also known as Stone-next-Dartford, is one of a string of villages lying along the Dartford to Gravesend road on the south bank of the River Thames in Kent.

Stone Castle is now the regional office of a large cement manufacturer. The cement works which once stood here have now been demolished.

The disused John's Hole Quarry at Stone was used as a filming location for the mine scenes in the Doctor Who television story The Dalek Invasion of Earth. This was the first of many quarries to be used in the series.[1]

Stone Crossing railway station is on the North Kent Line.

St Mary's Church

Parish church

The parish church is St Mary the Virgin at Stone. It is a 13th-century church and was known as the "Lantern of Kent" from its beacon light known to all sailors on the river.

St Mary is one of Kent's most dramatic churches and is renowned for its Gothic sculpture made by the masons who built Westminster Abbey.[2] The Grade I listing entry narrates each spandrel is either identical or almost identical to those at Westminster Abbey and therefore also dates to 1260, it also describes the North Chapel built for Sir Richard Wiltshire's death in 1527 [3]

Stone Castle

About a mile to the south of Greenhithe and just north of the Roman Watling Street, Stone Castle dates from the mid-11th century, and is thought to have been constructed without licence during the reign of King Stephen, but was later permitted to remain by King Henry II after his accession to the throne.

The castle was built almost entirely of flint. The only surviving portion of the original mediæval castle intact is its large rectangular tower, rising 40 feet in height.

An adjoining Georgian house was built onto the tower by Sir Richard Wiltshire. In 1527 Cardinal Wolsey stayed at his house while passing through the district. In more recent times the property has belonged to the Church of England.


Iron Age pottery and artefacts have been found at Stone[2] proving it to be an ancient settlement site.

Stone Cricket Club

Stone has a village cricket team that was established in 1888 and plays a role in keeping the community together.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Stone, Kent)


  1. Doctor Who – The Dalek Invasion Of Earth; commentary by Gary Russell (2003)
  2. 2.0 2.1 Newman, John (1969). West Kent and the Weald. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 19, 525. 
  3. National Heritage List 1085810: Church of St Mary