The Kings Arms, Stockland
Stockland is a village in eastern Devonshire, close to the Somerset boundary; or technically in a detached part of Dorset locally situate in Devon. It is found in a snug valley above that of the River Yarty, which flows by just below the village, to the east.
This is a little place of some five hundred folk. The parish is surrounded clockwise from the north by the parishes of Yarcombe, Membury, Dalwood, Widworthy, Offwell, Cotleigh and Upottery. The nearest neighbouring towns are Honiton and Axminster, six miles and five miles away respectively.
The village is within the Blackdown Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The name of the village appears originally to have been, in Old English, Yrþlingcymbstocc, meaning 'farmers' valley settlement', from its location in the Yarty valley
The church was mainly built in the 14th century.
Nevertheless, the church shows evidence of an earlier 12th century building: Norman arches survive on the south wall of the chancel and a 13th century lancet window in the Broadhayes Chapel. The 14th century rebuiling added a north aisle, n the 15th century, the tower was built.
The ring of six bells date from as early as 1603
One of the earliest references to Stockland was during the reign of King Athelstan who gave a charter for a church in Middleton (now Milton Abbas) in Dorset in 934. Stockland was to provide timber for the church, hence its attachment to Dorset.
In February 1646, during the Civil War, Ford House, a fortified manor house at Stockland was put under siege and battle ensued. The church at nearby Membury has a memorial to the local commander who dies in the battle.
About the village
Stockland has a village hall where community events are held and is the location of the local pre-school.
The village hall also includes a children's play area, cricket pitch and tennis court.
Stockland Primary School resides in a Victorian school house.
- Stockland Fair, held on May bank holiday each year at the Village Hall. This fair was granted by King Henry III to the Manor of Stockland in 1252.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Stockland, Devon)