Stibbington from the riverside
|North West Cambridgeshire|
Stibbington is a village in the far north-western corner of Huntingdonshire, in the head of the loop of the River Nene, which marks the county border between Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire. Stibbington is the northernmost village in the county excepting those parts of Wansford which are south of the bridge, on the Huntingdonshire side of the Nene, and the northernmost point of Huntingdonshire is in a meander of the River Nene in the farmland north of the village.
At Stibbington, is Stibbington Hall, a manorial house built in the 17th Century of Ketton stone. To the north of the village is the Stibbington Environmental Education Centre.
Stibbington forms a joint parish with its tiny neighbour, Sibson and with the Huntingdonshire parts of Wansford, named Sibson-cum-Stibbington.
The village was once on the Great North Road, but in place of that road now the A1M slices unforgivingly past Stibbington withour stopping; the village lies along it on the northeastern side.
Stibbington Manor Farm, on the south-west side of the road near Sibson Manor House, was built about 1625.
Stibbington is about 6½ miles from Peterborough.
- 'Parishes: Stibbington', A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3 (1936), pp. 217-222. . Date accessed: 10 May 2008