Stanhope, County Durham
|Post town:||Bishop Auckland|
|North West Durham|
The civil parish of Stanhope has a population of 4,519 in 2001, and also includes Rookhope, Westgate, St John's Chapel, Ireshopeburn, Wearhead, Cowshill, Cornriggs, Eastgate, Frosterley all on the A689 road, along with Crawleyside, Hill End and White Kirkley.
Places in and around the town
Stanhope is surrounded by moorland much of which is designated the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Features of interest include:
- a petrified tree stump in the churchyard which was discovered with two others. One of the others resides in the Hancock Museum in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- the Durham Dales Centre which incorporates a tea room, tourist information and craft shops
- a ford with stepping stones for pedestrians
- the eighteenth century Stanhope Castle in the centre of the town stands on the possible site of a mediæval castle.
Stanhope Agricultural Show is held on the second weekend of September each year. It was founded in 1834 and has been held annually since, with the exception of the war years, the foot and mouth crisis and times of bad weather.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Stanhope, County Durham)