The Golden Lion Inn
Southwick is a village in Hampshire, sharing a civil parish with the deserted village of Widley. Southwick is a mile north of the Portsmouth built-up area, measured from Portsea Island, and it is occupied entirely by tenants of the Southwick Estate. The whole village is owned by the Southwick Estate with one exception, namely Church Lodge, which is in private ownership.
The parish church is St James, officially "St James without the priory gate". The church is Grade-I listed. It is of early mediæval origin.
The Defence College of Policing and Guarding is situated at nearby Southwick Park.
Southwick was initially the site of Southwick Priory, in the 12th century. On the Dissolution of the Monasteries during the Reformation the estate, including the village, was granted to John White. In 1813 a new manor house, Southwick House, was completed.
Southwick House house was gutted by fire in 1838, but was renovated by 1841. The house and part of the estate was requisitioned by the government during Second World War and has been used by various parts of the armed forces, including as HMS Dryad, ever since.
The Southwick Estate
Southwick is rare in that the village is still entirely owned by the Southwick Estate (except for Church Lodge). The most obvious sign of this is that all the houses, except manor houses, have dark red-painted front doors - a condition laid down in the tenancy agreements.
The only exceptions to this painting rule are the White House, the residence of the vicar, and Church Lodge. Church Lodge, the only privately owned house in the old village.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Southwick, Hampshire)
- "Information about the parish". Hampshire County Council. http://www3.hants.gov.uk/localpages/south-east/fareham/southwick-widley.htm. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- National Heritage List England no. 1350287: The Golden Lion Inn (Historic England)
- National Heritage List England no. 1096221: The Red Lion Inn (Historic England)
- National Heritage List England no. 1167160: St James Without, Southwick (Historic England)
- National Heritage List England no. 1096247: Southwick, Hampshire (Historic England)