Cottages in Slaggyford
The Maiden Way Roman road passes through Slaggyford. The A689 road follows the line of the Roman road for a few hundred yards on the way south out of the village.
Slaggyford Railway Station was once a stop on the Alston Line, which ran from Haltwhistle to Alston. The line opened in 1852 and closed in 1976.
Since 1983 a narrow gauge heritage railway has opened on part of the original track bed, the South Tynedale Railway. This is a 2-foot gauge line and runs three and half miles from Alston to a station at Lintley and includes a viaduct over the River South Tyne. Efforts are being made to extend the line to Slaggyford.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|