Shrewsbury Castle

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Shrewsbury Castle

Shropshire

Shrewsbury Castle Keep.jpg
Shrewsbury Castle
Location
Location: 52°42’28"N, 2°45’15"W
Town: Shrewsbury
History
Built 1067
Material: Red sandstone
Information

Shrewsbury Castle is a red sandstone castle in the town centre of Shrewsbury, Shropshire. It stands on a hill in the neck of the meander of the River Severn on which the town originally developed.

The castle (situated directly above Shrewsbury railway station) and is a Grade I listed building [1]

Shrewsbury Castle

It was built as a defensive fortification for the town, which was otherwise protected by the river. Town walls, of which little now remains, then radiated out from the castle and surrounded the town (although the area known now as Town Walls still has a small section of it and a tower known as Town Walls Tower and in the care of the National Trust).

In 1138, King Stephen successfully besieged the castle held by William FitzAlan for the Empress Maud during the period known as The Anarchy. The castle was also briefly held by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth, Prince of Wales, in 1215. Little of this original physical structure remains.[2]

Twentieth Century

The Shropshire Horticultural Society purchased the castle from a private owner and gave it to the town in 1924. Until 1981, borough council meetings, at which the full council would be present, used the castle's hall. (Meetings later moved to Oakley Manor in Belle Vue, and then to the Guildhall in Frankwell.)

The castle is currently owned by the council, and managed by Shropshire Museum Service. It is licensed for Civil Ceremonies within the Thomas Telford Circular Room.

Shropshire Regimental Museum

Since 1985, the castle has housed the Shropshire Regimental Museum, with exhibits from the King's Shropshire Light Infantry. The museum combines the collections of the 53rd, the 85th, the KSLI to 1968, the local Militia, Rifle Volunteers and Territorials, as well as those of other county regiments - the Shropshire Yeomanry and the Shropshire Artillery Volunteers and the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery. The museum was attacked by the IRA on 25 August 1992 and extensive damage to the collection and to some of the Castle resulted. It re-opened in 1995.

Shrewsbury Castle from Laura's Tower

Castle Grounds

Laura's Tower overlooks the surrounding townscape and further out to the countryside. Weddings take place here and the castle grounds are used sometimes for plays, which have included the Canterbury Tales, among others.

Outside links

References

  1. National Heritage List England no. 1246877: Shrewsbury Castle (Historic England)
  2. Shrewsbury Castle