|Island:||Isle of Wight|
|Population:||670 (2011, incl Kingston and Yafford)|
|Council:||Isle of Wight|
|Isle of Wight|
Shorwell (pronounced Shorrel by some locals and Islanders) is a village in Hampshire, on the Isle of Wight. It is to be found four miles from Newport in the southwest of the island. Shorwell was one of Queen Victoria's favourite places to visit on the Isle of Wight.
The parish of Shorwell contains three manors: North Shorwell (or Northcourt), South Shorwell (or Westcourt), and Wolverton. Northcourt was built in 1615 by the Deputy Governor of the Island, Sir John Leigh, and is the islands's largest manor house. It is now a bed and breakfast.
About the village
Northcourt Manor's grounds contain a spring, the Shor Well, which feeds a stream, one of the tributaries of the Buddle Brook.
There is a pub called the Crown Inn, featuring a pond stocked with brown trout.
The parish church of Shorwell is St Peter's. It is of 12th Century foundation, although it only has work of the 13th Century remaining. The tower was added in the 15th Century.
A mediæval wall painting depicting scenes from the apocryphal life of St Christopher has been revealed on the church wall, painted around 1470.
Sport and leisure
- Shorwell United, the island's oldest Sunday League football club
- Netball: The island's oldest netball club is also based in Shorwell as well as.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Adams, William Henry Davenport (1856). The history, topography, and antiquities of the isle of Wight (Now in the public domain. ed.). Smith, Elder, and Co.. pp. 154–. https://books.google.com/books?id=BuxDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA154. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Northcourt Manor