Shawfair Farm and cottages
Shawfair is a new village being built in the south-eastern wedge of Edinburgh. It is the largest urban expansion project to date for the city.
The £200 million development  will create a new residential and commercial centre with around 4,000 new homes, two primary schools, a secondary school and one million sq ft of commercial and retail space. It is a projected that the development will provide a net economic output of around £32.2 million a year during development and £99.9 million a year thereafter.
Building began in 2015.
The Shawfair railway station on the newly created Borders Railway, which is due to be opened in 2015, will connect the new town centre and surrounding area with Edinburgh city centre. The Shawfair project is being delivered by Shawfair LLP, a joint venture between Mactaggart & Mickel and Buccleuch Property. The £200m development of Shawfair, expected to take 15 years, is forecast to provide a projected net economic output of around £32.2 million per annum during development and £99.9 million each year thereafter.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Work on Shawfair set to start
- £100m community set for Edinburgh outskirts
- "New town to be created on outskirts of Edinburgh with 4000 homes". 20 May 2014. http://news.stv.tv/east-central/275905-shawfair-to-be-created-on-outskirts-of-edinburgh-with-4000-new-homes/. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- Whitaker, Andrew (21 May 2014). "Edinburgh Shawfair means ‘countless new jobs’". http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/edinburgh-shawfair-means-countless-new-jobs-1-3416431. Retrieved 5 September 2014.
- "Plans for £200m urban community near Edinburgh". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-27478756.
- "Spotlight on Shawfair – a new station for a new town". http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/news/2014/june/spotlight-on-shawfair-%E2%80%93-a-new-station-for-a-new-town.aspx.