Irish: Áth an Ghainimh
Sandyford Industrial Estate
Sandyford Business District, just north of the motorway, makes up much of the suburb and encompasses Sandyford Industrial Estate. It is the location for a number of multinational financial services and technology companies including Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Allied Irish Bank.
Sandyford Business District
The Sandyford Industrial Estate and surrounding areas is one of the biggest business parks in Ireland, consisting of over 500 companies employing approximately 20,000 people. It was officially opened in June 1967 on a site of 120 acres; 85 acres allocated to light industry and the rest to offices.
A proposal to establish a Sandyford Business District area, to include the core Sandyford Industrial Estate/Business Park as well as the other areas, resulted in the establishment of the Sandyford Business Improvement District Company (SBID) in January 2017. The area has capacity for 17,500 more employees, 350,000 sq m of commercial floor space and 1,000 residential units.
Microsoft have over 1,000 employees in Sandyford, and there is also a substantial workforce at Vodafone's Irish HQ.
- Basketball: Meteors Ladies' Basketball Club, founded in 1965
- Cricket: Sandyford Cricket Club, founded in 1984
- Gaelic Athletics: Naomh Ólaf GAA, located in Sandyford Industrial Estate, founded in 1981
Arts and culture
In the centre of Sandyford village is a monument to the working men of the village, Pater and Ned.
- "Sandyford Business District defines success of suburban office market". 4 December 2019. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/sandyford-business-district-defines-success-of-suburban-office-market-1.4103477?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fcommercial-property%2Fsandyford-business-district-defines-success-of-suburban-office-market-1.4103477.
- "SANDYFORD Urban Framework Plan 2011 - 2016". Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/sandyford_ufp.pdf.
- "Sandyford Business Improvement District Company - Our Mission". Sandyford BID CLG. https://www.sandyford.ie/about-us/our-mission.
- Sandyford Business Parks
- Meteors Ladies' Basketball Club
- Sandyford Cricket Club
- Naomh Olaf GAA
- Pater and Ned<.ref> an 8-foot bronze sculpture by Rowan Gillespie installed in 1996