Sandhead Main Street
|Council:||Dumfries and Galloway|
|Dumfries and Galloway|
Sandhead is a small village in Wigtownshire which overlooks Luce Bay, seven miles south of Stranraer. The old main road, named "Main Street", runs through the village, but the A716 now bypasses it with a narrow and twisting carriageway. The village developed as a strip village with a smithy and a school by 1850, and the bay was used for landing lime and later coal.
The village school is situated above the village, and a little north of this is Balgreggan Motte which stands above the A716. The Motte was the first in a line of early castles along the eastern shore of the Rhins. The top was used by the Royal Observer Corps during the Second World War as a lookout point. In earlier times the castle was made of wood and was inevitably burned to the ground by marauding forces. RAF West Freugh stands near the village.
About the village
- Church of Scotland church, in the parish of Stoneykirk
- Gospel Hall
- http://www.tighanmarahotel.co.uk/ Tigh Na Mara Hotel and Restaurant], serves the village as a pub, restaurant and hotel
- Locally owned and run shop and Post Office
- Primary school
- Woodlea Tearoom, converted from the Sandhead's old School opened in 2008
- Sandhead Bowling Club
- Two local parks, one with goal posts