The River Creedy is a small river in Devon. It gives its name to the local town, Crediton, which stands on its west bank, and to several local historic estates, namely Creedy Hilion, Creedy Peitevin (later called Creedy Wiger) and Creedy Park, in the parish of Sandford. It also names the Church of England's Benefice of North Creedy.
The name is assumed to be of Celtic origin, but views of its precise origin differ. According to one source it derives from a root meaning winding. Another view holds that it means shrinking, as compared with the more powerful Yeo.
- Location map: 50°43’60"N, 3°33’-0"W
- Pole, Sir William (d.1635), Collections Towards a Description of the County of Devon, Sir John-William de la Pole (ed.), London, 1791, p.221
- "Fordy Wood Copse – a Woodland Trust Wood". Woodland Trust. http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/our-woods/Pages/wood-details.aspx?wood=4814. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Gover, J.E.B., Mawer, A. & Stenton, F.M (1931). The Place-Names of Devon. Cambridge University Press. 4.
- Breeze, A. (2007): Review of The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names