Ramsey Abbey Gatehouse
|Ramsey Abbey Gatehouse|
Ramsey Abbey Gatehouse is a National Trust property located in the small town of Ramsey in northern Huntingdonshire. The gatehouse is the remains of a former Benedictine abbey, Ramsey Abbey, which was founded in the 7th century - Bede writes of it extensively - and survived until the Dissolution of the Monasteries under King Henry VIII.
The gatehouse as seen today is a remarkable remnant, in the form of a carved gatehouse with ornate oriel window built in the 15th-century; eight centuries later than the Abbey was founded but a solid testimony to the wealth the mediaeval abbey enjoyed.
The gatehouse was given to the Trust in 1952 in memory of Diana Broughton, the sister of Ailwyn Fellowes, 3rd Baron de Ramsey, owner of the manorhouse known as Ramsey Abbey.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Ramsey Abbey)