The origin of the village's name is unclear but may well simply come from "ram tun" or "ram village".
The parish church is All Saints, and it is one of a very few British churches with a thatched roof and one of only two in Cambridgeshire (the other being St Michael's Church in Longstanton). It consists of a chancel, nave with south aisle and porch and north vestry, and west tower. The present building apparently incorporates parts of a previous 12th century building and the majority of the stonework dates from the 13th and 14th century.
The nave includes a 13th-century marble grave commemorating Nicholas of Huntingdon, and there is an effigy of a knight in the chancel dating from the late 13th-century. There is a sundial on the tower.
The fen-edge was well-populated during Roman times, and remains have been found hereabouts. The village itself appears to be of Anglo-Saxon origin. It is believed that a castle was built just to the east of the village in around 1140.
Rampton has always been one of the smallest of the area's villages along the edge of the Fens. The Domesday Book listed 19 tenants, and there were only 31 families in 1563 and 39 households in 1664. At the time of the first census in 1801 there were 162 inhabitants, rising to 220 in 1821 and 250 in 1871 but dropping to under 180 in 1901. After slow growth to 221 by 1951, its growth mirrored that of neighbouring villages in rising to 355 in 1981 and 440 in 2001.
Big Society and village events
The village is home to an annual horse show (first Saturday in September), which is celebrated locally as an authentic traditional style show, with a gymkhana.
An annual fayre is held on the village green in the summer.
For the over-sixties there is a village revue/pantomime with dinner provided free by the Rampton '77.
For centuries an annual Rampton Feast was held on the Sunday before 15 July, moving to the Sunday after Trinity by the start of the 20th century, but dying away until revived in 1977.
Rampton has one public house, The Black Horse, that opened around 1850. Former pubs include The Chequers that was open by 1765 and closed in 1917, and The Fox and Hounds by the Willingham road close to the parish boundary that was open for little more than a decade from around 1880.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Rampton, Cambridgeshire)
- Walter Skeat (1901). The Placenames of Cambridgeshire. http://www.archive.org/stream/placenamesofcamb00skearich/placenamesofcamb00skearich_djvu.txt.
- A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9: Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds
- Dove's Guide, Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers, http://dove.cccbr.org.uk/home.php, retrieved 28 October 2013