The Cage, Parson Drove.
Parson Drove is a little village in the Great Fen, in Cambridgeshire. It sits some 7 miles west of Wisbech, the nearest town, and is named after the central road around which the village developed, formerly a mere droveway, and in those days a green way somewhat wider than the village road is now.
- The Emmanuel Church (also called the "New Church") dates from 1873 and contains chandeliers originally from St Paul's Cathedral
- St John the Baptist (also called the "Old Church") now redundant. It dates from the 12th century, and includes additions and renovations from the 14th, 15th, and 17th centuries.
The Romans evidence of their presence in several places throughout Parson Drove and the surrounding parish.
Samuel Pepys wrote about Parson Drove in his diaries in 1663, describing it as a "heathen place" where he stayed on 17 and 18 September, and apparently had his horse stolen.
The Drove has many buildings dating from the 16th century, 10 of which are Grade II Listed Buildings. The village has three pubs, including The Swan Inn, in which Pepys stayed in the 17th century. The village has three churches, two of which are historically interesting:
The last working woad mill in Britain was in Parson Drove, which closed only in 1910, and is now the site of Woad Mil Farm. It stood opposite the St John's Church.
- Football: Parson Drove FC
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Parson Drove)