Fitton Croft Farm near Gorefield
Newton-in-the-Isle, or just Newton is a village in the very north of Cambridgeshire, four miles to the north of Wisbech. It is within the Isle of Ely, hence its full name, which has also been rendered Newton in the Isle or Newton on the Isle.
The parish church of St. James is a mediæval structure with a tower. Formerly dedicated to St Katherine, the church was built in the 12th century and widened in the 14th century.
The Woadman Arms public house in the village is so named because woad was grown in the village until the 19th century. The second public house is called The White Lion.
The village is situated on the Silt Fen, a sea bank formed thousands of years ago. Unlike the salt marshes to the north or the formerly water-logged fens to the south, this narrow strip (also known as the Townland) has been inhabited for many centuries. Its location as a corridor for trade brought wealth to the villages during mediæval times in an otherwise relatively poor area.
The College of St Mary by the Sea was founded here during the reign of Henry IV by Sir John Colville. The lands were given to the rectory of Newton when the college was dissolved by Henry VIII.
- Newton, Cambridgeshire, in the south of the county
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Gazetteer of the British Isles (Edinburgh: Bartholomew, 1887)
- "Newton-in-the-Isle". Cambridgeshire Churches. http://www.druidic.org/camchurch/churches/newton-in-the-isle.htm.
- A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 4: City of Ely; Ely, N. and S. Witchford and Wisbech Hundreds (2002), pp. 201-206}}