Newbuildings Methodist Church
|Council:||Derry and Strabane|
Newbuildings or New Buildings is a large village in County Londonderry, found about half a mile from the banks of the River Foyle and 3 miles south of the city of Londonderry. It had a population of 3,381 in the 2011 Census.
The village was founded in the early 17th century as part of the Plantation of Ulster on land allocated to the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths of London.
It remained a small settlement until the 1960s, until large amounts of social housing was built on adjoining townland. Today, the village has four churches, two primary schools, a post office, community association, retail units and a wide range of housing.
- Church of Ireland
- Newbuildings Methodist Church
- Newbuildings Independent Methodist Church
- Roman Catholic
Newbuildings sits on an area of flat land between Clondermot Hill to the east and the River Foyle to the west.
Over time, the urban area of Newbuildings has spread into the following townlands:
Between 1900 and 1955 the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee had a station in Newbuildings, the line running from Stranorlar and other destinations and along the east bank of the River Foyle from Strabane to Londonderry Victoria Road railway station. New Buildings railway station opened on 6 August 1900 and finally closed on 1 January 1955.
- Football: Newbuildings United FC
- Placenames NI
- "New Buildings station". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-11-19.