|Stansted Mountfitchet Castle|
The entrance to the castle
The castle was built following the Norman conquest of England by the Mountfitchet family. It was constructed on high ground with a ringwork defence, enclosing around half an acre, and a bailey complex, enclosing one acre on slightly lower ground. Within the ringwork was a keep, within a small, round enclosure.
In the 1980s the castle was reconstructed as a tourist attraction. Although efforts were made during the reconstruction to protect the original features of the castle, the transformation and subsequent tourist numbers have caused damage to the site.
- Pettifer, p.74.
- 'Stansted Mountfitchet', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 1: North West (1916), pp. 275-280. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=122476 Date accessed: 5 May 2013.
- Blockley, p.17.
- Blockley, Marion (1999). "Archaeological Reconstructions and the Community in the UK". in Planel, Philippe; Stone, Peter G.. The Constructed Past: Experimental Archaeology, Education and the Public. London, UK: Routledge. pp. 15–32. ISBN 9780203205822.
- Pettifer, Adrian (1995). English Castles: a Guide by Counties. Woodbridge, UK: Boydell Press. ISBN 9780851157825.