Gaelic: Baile Mhuilinn Anndra
It was a centre for oatmeal and later flax production, fed by the many surrounding farms during the heyday of the Clan Ross. Its market cross dates from the late 18th century. The mill was powered by a feed from the Balnagown River.
Today it has a modern council-housing development to the west and north of the original village, built during the early and late 1970s on what was arable land for many centuries.
The original village, a conservation area, features classic Scottish Vernacular architectural features, and a short distance away the Tarbat Estate includes Major-General Lord MacLeod's 1787 Georgian Tarbat House, now in a state of ruin but with many original features within the grounds, including the burial sites of favourite horses and dogs and an impressive, although now uncared for Victorian arboretum. The view from the top floors of the mansion in its early days before the encroachment of trees would have provided a spectacular view over the grounds to the Cromarty Firth.