Cottage in Mansel Lacy
and South Herefordshire
The population of the parish at the 2011 Census was 139.
The parish church is St Michael and All Angels, which dates from between the 11th and 13th centuries.
Mansel Lacy is mentioned in a surviving Anglo-Saxon charter from c. 1045, in which half a hide of which is bought as an estate. It appears in the charter as Mælueshylle, probably meaning 'hill on which the mallow grows' from Old English malu hyll.
The village has two entries in the Domesday Book (1086) as Malveselle in the hundred of Stepleset. It is quite small with only 11 households yet is assessed for a relatively large amount of tax of 5 geld units.
- Mansel Lacy Church at Herefordshire Churches
- "S 1469". King's College London. http://www.esawyer.org.uk/charter/1469.html.
- Anglo-Saxon Charters. CUP Archive. 1939. pp. 186–187. https://books.google.com/books?id=zdY5AAAAIAAJ&pg=PR3.
- Lockie, Mel. "Herefordshire Placenames M". http://www.melocki.org.uk/places/M.html.
- "Mansell [Lacy] | Domesday Book". http://opendomesday.org/place/SO4245/mansell-lacy/.