Gaelic: An Dùn
|Banff and Buchan|
Macduff is a town in Banffshire which stands on Banff Bay, separated from Banff by the estuary of the River Deveron. The original settlement’s name was “Doune” but renamed Macduff after James Duff, 2nd Earl of Fife bought and developed it.
The area’s early area prehistory is unknown, but Longman Hill, a large long barrow, shows early occupation southeast of Macduff.
In 1733 the settlement of Doune was bought by William Duff, who later became the first Earl Fife. In 1760 the second Earl built a harbour there and in 1783 succeeded in promoting Macduff to a Burgh of Barony. The 2nd Earl Fife appointed his factor, William Rose, as the 1st Provost of Macduff in 1783.
The town celebrated its bicentenary in 1983, and the signs erected in that year still stand on the main approaches to the town (most visibly, a large sign next to the Banff Bridge on the Macduff side).
Banff and Macduff are separated by the valley of the River Deveron. This unpredictable river was finally tamed by the seven arched bridge completed in 1799 by John Smeaton. An earlier bridge had been built in 1765, but was swept away in 1768. The old ferry was brought back into use, until it was lost in a flood in 1773.
The modern-day town has an aquarium, a maritime heritage centre and a golf course (Royal Tarlair).
COAST Festival of the Visual Arts is an annual festival of weekend-long events and attractions in both Banff and Macduff. It runs over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May each year.
Macduff has a golf course known as Royal Tarlair. Built on land which ends on precipitous cliffs, lost balls really are lost.
- C. Michael Hogan (2008) Longman Hill, The Modern Antiquarian