Gaelic: Ceann Loch Gilb
|Postcode:||PA30 - 31|
|Council:||Argyll and Bute|
|Argyll and Bute|
Lochgilphead was a planned settlement created in 1790, shortly after the completion of a road from Inveraray to Campbeltown. After the completion of the Crinan Canal in 1801 the town became more important as a link across the Kintyre peninsula.
Kilmory Castle at Lochgilphead is surrounded by a woodland park, within which are the remains of an Iron Age fort.
The town has become an administrative centre; the main offices of Argyll and Bute Council are at Kilmory Castle, and the Forestry Commission also have an office in the town.
- http://www.argyllshireadvertiser.co.uk - The Argyllshire Advertiser for Lochgilphead and Mid Argyll news