Levant Mine

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
Levant Mine

Trewellard
Cornwall

National Trust

File:Levant-Mine-by-John-Gibson.jpg
Levant Mine boiler house, whim and pump house
Grid reference: SW368346
Location: 50°9’8"N, 5°41’8"W
Information
Website: Levant Mine

The Levant Mine is an old mine in Cornwall which is now run as a museum. It belongs to the National Trust, and is part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining World Heritage Site.

The mine is found near Trewellard and Pendeen, near St Just. The famous Levant engine is housed in a small engine house perched on the edge of the cliffs.

There is also a visitor centre, a short underground tour, and a cliff-top footpath that leads to Botallack Mine.[1]

Beam Engine

The main attraction at the Levant Mine is its engine; the world's only Cornish beam engine still operated by steam on its original site. The engine was restored after 60 idle years by a group of volunteers known as the 'Greasy Gang'.

Lelant engine

History

The Levant Mine was established in 1820 and closed in 1930, where tin and copper ores were raised. The mine reached a depth of about 2,000 feet. It got the nickname "mine under the sea", because tunnels were driven up to a mile and a half from the cliffs under the sea.

The Geevor Tin Mine is just to the north-east of the Levant complex.

Outside links

Commons-logo.svg
("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Levant Mine)

References