Leigh Woods, Somerset
The Church of St Mary the Virgin
The village is located to the south of Leigh Woods National Nature Reserve. It is situated at the western end of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, which opened in 1864, making the development of Leigh Woods as an upmarket residential area practicable. Houses in varying styles were built from the mid-1860s until the First World War. Styles adopted included Italian, neo-Jacobean, Scottish baronial, Swiss chalet, Modern glass buildings, Domestic Revival and Arts and Crafts.
The village is in the civil parish of Long Ashton, but in the ecclesiastical parish of Abbots Leigh with Leigh Woods. The church of St Mary the Virgin was designed by the architect John Medland and built in 1891.
- "A History of Long Ashton & Leigh Woods". Long Ashton Community Website. Archived from the original on 23 April 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140423055057/http://lalife.org.uk/key-information/long-ashton-history/. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Leigh Woods Village Design Statement" (PDF). Leigh Woods Village. http://www.leighwoods.org/Introduction/LW_Village_Design_2000.pdf. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- A Church Near You website
- "Introduction". Leigh Woods Village. http://www.leighwoods.org/Introduction/introduction.html. Retrieved 21 April 2014.