The settlement of Kilchoman consists of a small number of houses gathered around the 19th-century church, a short way above the each and dunes of Machir Bay. The site is ancient, dating back to the early christianisation of the Argyll seaboard. The church ceased to be used as a place of worship in 1977. The burial ground enclosing the church contains many mediæval and renaissance sculptures, and notable Cross, the Kilchoman Cross, dating from the 14th or 15th century. The sculptor of the cross belonged to the Iona School.
Close to the settlement is another cemetery, the Kilchoman Military Cemetery, maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. This contains the remains of victims of the sinking of HMS Otranto in 1918.
A short distance east is Kilchoman Distillery.
Parish of Kilchoman
The parish covers the west part of Islay, covering the Rhinns of Islay, and the area around and north of Loch Gorm, and bounded to the east by Loch Gruinart and Loch Indaal totalling around 100 square miles. It thus includes the settlements of Port Charlotte, Bruichladdich, Ardnave and Portnahaven.
- Walker, Frank Arneil (2000). Argyll & Bute. Buildings of Scotland. Penguin. pp. 544–545. ISBN 978-0300096705.
- The New Statistical Account of Scotland: Renfrew, Argyle. W. Blackwood and Sons. 1845. pp. 644–659. http://books.google.com/books?id=ju01AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA644.
- Newton, Norman (1988). Islay. Newton Abbot, Devon: David & Charles. pp. 65–67. ISBN 9780715389966.
- Kilchoman Military Cemetery at CWGC
- Kilchoman Military Cemetery at Scottish Wargraves
- HMS Otranton and Tuscania Memorials
- Carved Stones of Kilchoman Parish. An 1885 account
- Kilchoman at Islay History Blog
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Location map: 55°46’55"N, 6°26’30"W