The College, Ide
Ide (pronounded eed) is a village in Devon, sitting less than a mile to the south-west of the county town, Exeter. The village church (rebuilt in 1834) is dedicated to the German Saint Ida of Herzfeld, from which churhc the village takes its name.
The village had a recorded Ide had a population of 526 at the 2011 census. It has two pubs: the Poacher's Arms and Huntsman Inn. A long ford crosses a lane on the edge of the village.
Above Ide on a hilltop is the site of a Roman fortlet or signal station.
Roads and rail
The village is separated from suburban Exeter by the broad A30 dual carriageway, driven through in a cutting. Whilst it was controversial at the time of construction, the road has effectively enabled Ide to maintain an independent identity. (The only direct link to Exeter is a long footbridge; by road is a longer way round). The parish boundaries were not changed by the road and extend a short distance over the A30, so that several notable buildings within the parish, including Ide House and the Twisted Oak pub, are located on the Exeter side.
Ide Halt railway station on the G.W.R. Teign Valley Line opened in 1903 and closed to passengers on 9 June 1958. The site of the station was re-developed as St Ida's Close and no trace now remains.
Ide was described in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850 as follows:
IDE, a neat and pleasant village, in a picturesque village, 2 miles S.S.W. of Exeter, has in its parish 795 souls, and 1408A. 3R. 17P. of fertile land, mostly the property of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, who are lords of the manor, appropriators of the rectory, and patrons of the perpetual curacy, which was valued in 1831 at £180 per annum, and is now held by the Rev. J.J. Erle, LL.B., who has a neat thatched residence, and 2A. of glebe. The great tithes were commuted in 1840 for £180, and the small tithes for £170 per annum, The Church (St. Ida,) was rebuilt in 1834, at the cost of about £1300, and has 550 sittings, of which 300 are free. It is a neat cemented structure, with a tower and four bells. Those beautiful and romantic grounds called Fordlands, which are often visited by pleasure parties from Exeter, are in this parish, . . . They are the property of J.H.W. Abbott, Esq. Here is a school, partly supported by subscription; and the poor parishioners have two yearly rent-charges, viz., 20s. out of a field at Lower Whiddon, left by Peter Balle, in 1648; and £2. 12s., left by Wm. Smith, out of three houses at Exeter.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|